Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Oracle SQL*Developer features wanted

I'm a PL/SQL developer, I've been with Toad for 10 years. I got my MacBook Pro in 2012 April. Since there is no PL/SQL Developer release for Mac, and Toad is too expensive, I have to get my feet wet on SQL*Developer.
After 3 months use of SQL*Developer, here're something I hope I can get.

I hope below issues will be solved on future SQL*Developer release.

*******

Connections navigator: manipulate to sub-procedure/function, sub-sub<...>-procedures.
SQL Worksheet code edit mode:
 - Edit/Find... is often hanging.
 - Shortcut/hot keys to change upper/lower case.
 - block selection and edit/fill.
Save Package spec and body... :
 - sometimes saved mess/wrong code, cannot be compiled.
 - can I change the suffix to .sql from .pls ?
...
Some more is coming soon.


Notes.

Version 3.1.07.
Build MAIN-07.42


Thanks,
Charlie | Database Architect Developer

2 comments:

thatjeffsmith said...

>>Edit/Find... is often hanging
Is this with a file open? If so, how large is the file?

>>Shortcut/hot keys to change upper/lower case
Ctrl+Quote toggles between Upper, InitCap, and Lowercase. You can change the shortcut in the preferences.

>>block selection and edit/fill
I'll treat these as two different things. Block selection is available now

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/07/how-to-block-select-text-in-oracle-sql-developer/

Block edit/fill isn't supported today, but I think it would be pretty popular with our power users. You could submit that idea to our exchange at sqldeveloper.oracle.com

>>package save spec/body issues
1. This could be a known issue. Does this sound similar to what you're seeing?

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=10427201&#10427201

2. There's no way to change the default for when saving package spec and bodies together, although if you use Save As for a spec or body, you can save it to .SQL. This would be an enhancement reqeust as well.

Unknown said...

@thatjeffsmith ,

Too many populate list and changing key word like column names to upper case automatically when I move the cursor up or down, are annoying too. It slows down my typing and editing.

It'll be better if I can turn it off.

Thanks,
Charlie